If it's not one thing...

Open SCC Discussions
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
devestator_x
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

If it's not one thing...

Post by devestator_x » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:48 pm

So... 2 months ago the starter died on our car... only 6 months after I had replaced it previously. Stupid me didnt keep the receipt. So the car sat for 6 weeks while we tried to save the money up to buy a new starter. Well, I finally went looking online and saw that Autozone had a lifetime warranty on their starters. I said heck, maybe I can call them and see if they can look up my purchase in the computer. This is something I should have done 6 weeks prior, but like keeping the receipt, that was hindsight. Anyhow, they look it up, sure enough, under warranty, just bring it in. I borrow some jack stands and in 2 days, the car is running again (damn rain)

So, that was 4 weeks ago. After the was up and running again, I found it had a bump and bounce when driving in the rear. I figured the tires just had some flat spots from sitting. Few more days, not going away. I check the pressures and they are pretty low. Fill them up and it goes away to a point. Now the bounce is just on the passengers side. I check the tire and it looks fine. Driving back and forth to work, 5 miles each way, still not going away. Yesterday I took it to Tire Kingdom and from the counter the guy says you tire is shot. We walk out to the car and as we are walking up I can see this bulge that I know I didnt find before. It's really ugly looking. The tire has separated and is totally unsafe to drive on.

So, now I get wait a week until we can afford to buy a new tire, in the mean time, the car sits yet again. After some research, I read that Cooper has had tons of legal troubles with tire separation issues. http://www.tirefailures.com/coopertire/ ... lures.html I will be slowly replacing the tires with BFGoodrich as I can afford them, so in the mean time, my car will have mismatched tires as we get new ones, one at a time.

Dion.Rentos

Re: If it's not one thing...

Post by Dion.Rentos » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 pm

:-( and yep Autozone keeps everything on record. Dont need receipts. i had a bat replaced 4 days out of war when i was in lakeland. They just gave me a new one :-)

devestator_x
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by devestator_x » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:27 pm

Back in New England, Autozones were few and far between, it was always Advanced Auto Parts (and even that was decent drive from where I lived), Napa, and Carquest. None of which allow returns without a receipt, so I just didnt bother to check. Oh well, lesson learned. From now on, will probably buy more stuff from Autozone just for that convenience.

camaro1968

Post by camaro1968 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Hope you get her back on the road soon! It sounds like a run of bad luck. Time for some good luck!

devestator_x

Post by devestator_x » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Scariest part is... after the bump didnt go away for a few days, I remembered that doing a brakestand would sometimes fix a flat spot. So there I am smoking up a tire that was already failing. :doh: Lucky I knew the tires didnt have a lot of tread left so I didnt get it big and smokey, just enough to smoke up a little bit, then hammered it as I let off the brakes and rolled it out about 20 yards. Was fun but stupid at the same time.

devestator_x

Post by devestator_x » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:18 pm

So here is the aftermath of my tire...
It was holding 35 psi in this condition. Lucky I wasn't driving on it more than 2mph when it let go. I let the air out before putting it inside the car so it wouldn't explode on me.

Rsoetidjo

Post by Rsoetidjo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 pm

devestator_x wrote:So here is the aftermath of my tire...
It was holding 35 psi in this condition. Lucky I wasn't driving on it more than 2mph when it let go. I let the air out before putting it inside the car so it wouldn't explode on me.
What brand are your tires?
My SCC Garage
97 30TH Anniversary SS (383 stroker)
02 GMC Yukon XL
07 Acura TL-S (wife car)
06 Suzuki Hayabusa

devestator_x

Post by devestator_x » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:16 am

Rich, my tires are Cooper Cobras, but I am going to replace them with BF Goodrich Radial TAs as I can afford to, maybe with the tax return it will get 3 more to match.

Rsoetidjo

Post by Rsoetidjo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Marie had same problem on her car. All 4 yokohoma was separated. But wasn't that bad.
My SCC Garage
97 30TH Anniversary SS (383 stroker)
02 GMC Yukon XL
07 Acura TL-S (wife car)
06 Suzuki Hayabusa