Engine rebuild

Open SCC Discussions
spearous

Engine rebuild

Post by spearous » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Heya all,

I have about 7k now to rebuild my 94 z-28 engine but I don't know a good shop that can do engine rebuilds without costing me a arm and a leg. Anyone have any good leads? I want to make my 350 an 355 and shoot for 400hp

Spearous

devestator_x

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by devestator_x » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:49 pm

I cant really help with the shop part, but can help with a basic shopping list of parts that will help get you in the 400hp range. A quick google search led me to this forum thread...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modif ... p-lt1.html

Here they talk all over the place, but if you add up the more valuable information, it seems as though an LT1 with a cold air intake, full exhaust, head and cam will get you close to the 400hp mark. That pretty much means get the rebuild done to stock specs (unless it REALLY needs to be punched out to a 355 due to cylinder wall scars) There is no real difference between a 350 and 355 other than the bore is SLIGHTLY bigger on the 355, thus making pistons a TINY bit harder to find. Pretty much an unneeded expense just to say you have a 355 IF you dont NEED to bore it out, which you might due to the age and condition of the motor.

SO, fresh rebuild on the bottom end, dont bother having the heads rebuilt as you will need to ditch them anyway to hit your power goal. Try to find a good head/cam combo. I dont know much about them right now, but am willing to help research if needed.

Full exhaust... headers are a must, possibly cat-delete if you feel like going that route, then a full catback of your choosing. This will take up a decent chunk of your budget depending on your tastes. If you want a real aggresive sound (Wayne or Rich style), GMMG or SLP are the way to go, but plan on spending $1000 for the catback. If you want something a bit more subdued, Flowmaster or Magnaflow will be quieter and less expensive.

Cold air intake is pretty self explanitory... probably go K&N for the full system here.

Other things to consider... rear gears and a stall converter in the trans. Hell, just doing these two things without even touching the motor can make a car feel like it gained 50hp.

Hope that gives you a little direction as to what you should be shopping for. And as always, the more elbow work you do yourself, the more money you save. Things like pulling the motor out and reinstalling it can save you hundreds in labor costs alone.

Rsoetidjo

Post by Rsoetidjo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 pm

I think you should just go Lsx. You can get more hp with less money then lt motor.
My SCC Garage
97 30TH Anniversary SS (383 stroker)
02 GMC Yukon XL
07 Acura TL-S (wife car)
06 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dion.Rentos

Post by Dion.Rentos » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Better check out this bad boy before its gone!

I hear its for sale and has lots of HP for ya :-)

skybrake

Post by skybrake » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Just curious...but other than those exhaust stud issue you posted about ....what makes you sure you really need or want to rebuild your engine?